How To Find Who Manages The Body Corporate Records?

body corporate records

Its very common in body corporates that there is NO representative of the body corporate available onsite.

Which means, if you do need to speak to someone with the power to act on behalf of the scheme, finding out who that person is can turn into a drawn out treasure hunt.

Whomever manages the body corporate records is also the contact point for the body corporate, which in Queensland schemes is the function of the Secretary, although most schemes hire a professional Strata Manager to undertake those tasks.

Unfortunately what buildings they act for is a closely guarded secret for Strata Managers so for outsiders, such as real estate agents, Solicitors and search agents like myself finding who to contact is often difficult.

The “offical” contact dddress

In Queensland each body corporate must register a contact address with the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). A titles office search on the body corporate, being lot 0 on whatever the plan number is, will then return this address.

However, it presupposes that information is kept current.

The first address on register is the original owner (developer). Some records are never updated from the initial registration.

If a Strata manager is appointed one of the first tasks should be to lodge a Notification of Change of Address with the DNR to update contact details. All official information, such as land valuations, will then be sent to the person who actually is managing the body corporate records.

That doesn’t always happen though and by far the most common address for body corporates held by the DNR is the site itself. Most strata schemes have a mail box labelled “body corporate” and this is the contact address for the body corporate.

Other ways to find who manages the body corporate records

By far the most reliable means of finding out who manages a body corporate’s records is to ask  a current lot owner. All lot owners pay levies, and consequently usually know to whom they are paying said levies.

If the address on state record is incorrect and a current lot owner can’t help other places to try include:

  • ask the onsite manager, if there is one
  • ask any real estate agents who have sold lots in the building recently
  • phone different body corporate management offices and ask if they manage the building
  • contact local search companies like, we have lists of who manages what, though certainly not all buildings
  • write to the address of the body corporate and hope that the letter is passed to a lot owner

I’m sorry to say there’s no simple means to work out who manages what. Secretaries, like lot owners come and go, as do Strata Managers. Body corporate records are private information and sadly that relates to management details as well.


A little knowledge can go a long way

I see so many stressful and frustrating issues in body corporate records that result from simple misunderstandings it hurts my head. If I could do one thing to help it would be to teach everyone the basic rules, so they can avoid all these dramas.

With that in mind I've put together a short eBook that sets out the basics everyone owning in a body corporate really should know. It won't make those big issues go away, but it will give you a firm grounding from which to communicate.

It's completely free, so please, download it now!

Download Now


  1. Paul Tankey says:

    I am trying to find the manager of the body corporate of a four townhouses which were built behind my home . The person has allowed somebody to trim and cut overhanging branches and palms off my plants which i dont have a problem with except they have cut palms and bushes back to a stump all without my permission , and left a mess of branches etc in my yard , i have left notes in the mail box but no one gets back to me , how can i find the person redponsible when they dont contact me . Thank you Paul

    • Hi Paul
      Try ringing your local Titles Office. They may tell you the registered address of the body corporate for no charge. If it’s a PO Box, Google the address and it should tell you the name of the manager.

      With smaller body corporates it is quite possible the address is the complex itself which is painful. In that case keep leaving notes in the “body corporate” section of the mailboxes and if that fails try and catch one of the residents. They may be an owner or be able to give you an owner name. It’s frustrating to have to go to so much trouble I know, but unfortunately there’s no such thing as a “register” other than the Titles Office.

      I suggest you take photos of the mess they’ve made if you don’t manage to get a hold of anyone quickly. Good luck

  2. Hi Lisa,

    Thanks for this article. I’m trying to find a simple way to find building managers in a particular area, which always seems to be a challenge. Thanks for narrowing down the areas I need to focus.


    • You’re welcome Darren. The larger buildings normally have an onsite manager, but as they get smaller it becomes more of a challenge.

      I’d also suggest submitting your details to body corporate managers listed on the website. Body corporates have a “stable” of contractors whom they’re approved to use. Getting onto that list can be daunting but being a contact to provide a comparative quote is often a good place to start (schemes are meant to have at least two quotes for expenditure).

      Good luck.

  3. Tanvir Khan says:

    I am happy to do a Title Search to know the Contact of the Body Corporate. But the Title Search Website is showing me all the Lot Number of the individual Units. How can i find the Body Corporate Information using the Title search. Much appreciate if you can response.

    Thanks in advance,

  4. Hi there,
    I am trying to find out the details of the body corporate of a group of units next door to me. One of the unit owners has reversed into my car that was parked in front of my house and has taken off without leaving any details. After speaking to a few neighbours, I am 90% sure of who it was (apart from the lovely bright green pant left on my car and the matching damage to their car) and it’s not the first time this person has done this. Fortunately the communal carpark at the front of the units has video surveillance which would have captured the accident and I’m assuming I’d need to contact the B.C. to ask for a review of it? I’m just having a terrible time trying to find out who they are! As I’m in Victoria, not QLD, would you have any idea where I should start? There’s no info at the property nor can I find any obvious info for the property online. I also don’t want to door knock as I’m not sure what unit said person lives in!
    Thanks very much!

    • Hi Daniel

      Door knocking is the way to go. As you don’t know who the person is they won’t know you either.

      Other avenues are to call the local strata managers and ask if they manage the scheme. See if there is an on-site manager as they would definitely know. You could also ask local real estate agents. They might have sold units in the scheme.

      In QLD you could pay for a CTS search to find details in record but they’re not always up to date. Not sure of equivalent in VIC.

      Your best bet will be to ask someone who owns there.

Speak Your Mind